« iVillage drops Google for Yahoo sponsored listings | Main | Archive MP3 of SEO Rockstars with Jenstar now available »

August 18, 2005

How to ensure your AdSense account will not be cancelled

Since more and more publishers are worried about being suspended from AdSense, and it seems like even more publishers claim they "didn't know" the rules because they didn't read the terms and/or policies, the AdSense team has created a brand new top ten list of what to do (and not to do!) to ensure your AdSense account remains in good standing.

The quick rundown of the top ten, as well as some of my personal comments in italics with each:

You can read the full What can I do to ensure that my account won't be disabled? including clarifications about each of these top ten items, so you can ensure you are following the most important terms and policies, since these are the ones that publishers most commonly run afoul with which result in suspended AdSense accounts.

Posted by Jenstar at August 18, 2005 02:07 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference How to ensure your AdSense account will not be cancelled:

» How not to get your Adsense Account Cancelled from ProBlogger
Jensense posted a great article about How to ensure your Adsense Account is not cancelled From Jensense: Don’t click your own ads I have been saying this ever since AdSense launched. It is amazing how many people don’t realize this is a... [Read More]

Tracked on August 19, 2005 06:19 AM

» Si no quieres que te cancelen Adsense... from Blog de Todo-Buscadores
... procura leer el artculo que ha redactado Jensense para evitar que Google te cancele tu cuenta. En dicho artculo, el autor sugiere una serie de consejos que parecen sumamente bsicos, pero que cualquiera que navegue con asiduidad por Internet... [Read More]

Tracked on August 19, 2005 08:52 AM

» What to do - not to do with AdSense from ProfitPayPlus Weblog
I know this was written many times in the past days - but unfortunately it has to be said one more time. The people at Google AdSense have created a top ten list of what to do - not to... [Read More]

Tracked on August 24, 2005 07:33 PM

» Google Speaks with Forked Tongue from blog.boycottgoogleads.com
Here’s a quote from Ben on the AdSense Blogspot: In every possible case we first try to work with the publisher over email to remedy the issue — and in nearly every case there is a quick and easy solution. This certainly wasn’t the... [Read More]

Tracked on August 27, 2005 10:21 AM

» Poll for Banned AdSense Publishers (Goojects): Did you cheat? from blog.boycottgoogleads.com
Based on some great comments I read last night posted on this Jensense article, I started a poll feature using Jalenack’s “Democracy” WordPress plugin. More polls will follow, but this one (although unscientific) should be very inte... [Read More]

Tracked on August 30, 2005 03:28 AM

Comments

I'm constantly staggered by the amount of times I see these rules broken. Can't say this stuff enough.

Posted by: Darren Rowse at August 18, 2005 10:34 PM

I wasn't banned, but I was suspended for about 8 hours because I didn't respond to an email about an issue. I had put the code in a "header" file that I include on all my pages and it was appearing in a custom error page. It was an oversight I corrected quickly, but the interesting thing is that I didn't receive the warning email because my *Gmail* account labeled it as spam. So, add to the list...whitelist Adsense support in your email program.

Posted by: Tom Hanna at August 19, 2005 01:02 AM

I was banned last week, with my account closed and my earnings lost. And that's when I discovered there's no way of finding out why or what to do next. It would be good to have a well written guide to that situation which a lot of people seem to find themselves in.

Posted by: Paul Wells at August 22, 2005 08:57 PM

I'm discouraging anyone from using Adsense because Google branded me a cheater, when I didn't cheat, as well as other reasons.
BTW, I love your site - very informative. I hope to become a part of the Yahoo Publisher Network in the near future.

Posted by: James Moore at August 23, 2005 04:33 AM

I was also banned from AdSense and branded a cheater when I didn't cheat. I sent a message to Ben at AdSense Publisher support after he posted an article at the AdSense Blogspot site where he said "In every possible case we first try to work with the publisher over email to remedy the issue -- and in nearly every case there is a quick and easy solution."

I tried for three weeks to contact people at AdSense with no response. I asked Ben to back up his words with action and contact me to get the issue resolved. I haven't heard from him yet, but maybe soon, who knows...

Posted by: Jeff Lewis at August 26, 2005 10:46 AM

I was just perusing the AdSense Blogspot Jeff mentioned, and I noticed they linked to this Jensense discussion. I wonder if Google noticed that Jensense is using Yahoo ads? LOL. OK, sorry. Oh btw, I coined a term this morning for publishers like me whom Google has banned - we are 'Goojects' (because we were 'Goojected'...the e-mails we got were 'Goojection Notices'). OK, again, sorry... :)

Posted by: James Moore at August 27, 2005 09:54 AM

I am not saying that there aren't cases when Google falls down on the job and treats someone unfairly. In any enterprise, it's bound to happen. However, it does tend to remind me of your average courtroom where EVERYONE is innocent, and the cop that busted them is crooked.

Oh how many times I've run into an "innocent" who has ONLY clicked on his ads when he was interested or "didn't do it much", or the ones who claimed innocence, but you know darn well they weren't clearing hundreds per month (legitimately) off THAT site.

Another fine catch is the self-anointed "technoguru" who got his AOL account or used some proxies, thought that would be enough to fool ol' Google, and is now mad that he's been found out and realizes what he's lost. Or they go around to various bulletin boards and ASK people to click on ads, and these (rocket-scientists) give their URL and are sure they will never be caught. It's amazing how utterly angry these will become and how they will protest their innocence and bad-mouth Google, even though they know they are wrong.

Okay, if you are reading this and got banned, I am sure that you MUST be the exception. However, what I wouldn't give to just see one post by one guy somewhere who says, "Yep, I thought I was a genius, that they would never catch me, and was darn sure I'd figured it out... but they busted me and they were right in doing so. Come on... just one!

I also wouldn't doubt it if there are an awful lot of folks who wrote into Google and threatened, got nasty, or just down right vulgar... and expected that this was going to somehow convince Google to give their account back.

Bottom line, if you really are innocent, BE innocent. Be reasonable, but also offer to cooperate, show logs, or whatever else will clear your name. Remember, you have an agreement in place where both you or Google can quit the other at any time for any reason. And while it may suck, just remember that life isn't over and you WILL be fine.

Posted by: Steve at August 29, 2005 06:34 PM

You raised some good points Steve - thanks for keeping this in perspective. I have a tendency to go overboard with my convictions (thus my new blog site)...but, just for fun and based on your comments I added a 'non-scientific' poll to my blog, asking banned publishers if they cheated. Maybe someone will actually vote yes. :)

Posted by: James Moore at August 29, 2005 08:03 PM

Well everyone in a courtroom is assumed to be innocent until proven guilty, and evidence is presented in the open for a jury of peers to determine the truth.

With Google/AdSense it's down to them saying there were "invalid clicks" and that's as much detail as you get. If you ask them they'll say they've investigated - but you won't learn anything which will help you find out what happened.

If their technology for detecting "invalid clicks" is so accurate couldn't they just exclude these from any earnings, and not charge the advertisers? Wouldn't that be a less evil solution?

Posted by: Paul Wells at August 30, 2005 09:17 AM

hi friends,

i came to know that they have certain policy where if u purchased any site which was previously banned for some reason ur site is also going to be banned how could i check that this was the banned site or domain ???

and suppose some of my enimy will start clicking on my ads will they block my account ? what is to be done in such condition ???

regards,
Rita

Posted by: rita at October 17, 2005 12:49 PM

Ah come on. Haven't you at least once, honestly looked at an advert on your site and thought "ooh, now that's something i've been looking for" and clicked it? I know I have, without even thinking about it. Only twice though, and I now ignore my own adsense for click-happy reasons. But I assure you, those accidents were NOT to increase my clickthrough, because in fact, I assumed that they could check my ip when i log into adsense anyway and just remove that click, or ignore it. Until I read the TOCs a second time round !! My bad!

Posted by: EMACLE at November 13, 2005 02:04 PM