« Next Google AdSense Optimization Webinar Scheduled | Main | Did you miss the Google AdSense Reports Webinar? See it now! »

August 02, 2005

Inside the Yahoo! Publisher Network Beta

It is officially 12:01 EST, so I can talk all about being inside the Yahoo! Publisher Network beta (I know some of you wondered why I was suspiciously silent when the rumors broke today). And it was worth the wait.

YPN has launched beta testing of their contextual ads for a small group of non-employee publishers. If you would like to check out ad relevancy, I have placed it on two non-blog sites - Womens Finance and Moms Budget.

They do allow custom tracking channels (similar to AdSense channels) and URL channels. There is a current limit of 50 active tracking channels, which I hope to see raised. I currently run more than that many channels on AdSense at the moment.

There is nothing set up for alternatives to PSA ads other than changing the ad unit to a single color. It would be good to see an alternative ad option, where publishers could subsititute an ad or ad network if YPN is unable to deliver targeted ads, or see something similar to the collapsing ad unit that AdSense offers. I saw a lot of PSA ads when I placed it online, and it can be a short while before targeted ads are showing.

All the obsessive stat checkers will love a feature that YPN has implemented into their control panel. When you login, under the daily balance, it states "* Estimated as of Aug 2, 2005 at 7:45 PM PST" This will give publishers a very definitive look as to what time the stats are current until.

The user interface definitely has some quirky bugs that need to be sorted out. I had problems going back and forth between designing what my ad unit should look like and back to the page that generates the javascript. It seemed to be buggy CSS, because I got double headers, and the boxes were doubled up as well. I also had problems with the javascript not updating properly, when I'd change between ad unit sizes, ad styles and channels. This could easily be solved with a "generate javascript" button for these times.

Ad unit customization is also a little clunky, but could easily be changed to make it better. You need to select radio buttons before you can select colors from the color picker, and you couldn't edit the # color in a text box without first selecting the appropriate radio button.

Ad unit colors seem to be much more limited in YPN - I tried to simply use my AdSense ad colors on my Womens-Finance site for YPN, and it rejected some of the colors, and used black instead. So I had to try and hunt out the closest color in the color picker instead. I also ended up with two copies of an ad style with the identical name "jensense", each looking different. Hopefully an edit or delete option will be available once it is out of beta.

The ad unit javascript also isn't as clear as to which colors represent which part of the ads. So it is a bit of work to figure what color to change if you want to change the ad unit colors without having to use the ad picker designer in the control panel. And then you could run into the unavailable color issue, which is what happened to me.

It offers the same ten ad unit sizes that AdSense offers, although some of them offer a different number of ads (such as YPN's large rectangle showing only three ads).

Something that is very cool about payment options is that it appears publishers have the option of transfering their YPN earnings over to their Yahoo search marketing account, if they use the same login username for both accounts. This is something AdSense/AdWords customers have requested since the launch of AdSense, so it is nice to see this as a feature YPN is implementing for their publishers.

You can also block up to 200 advertisers from showing up by adding their URLs into the ad blocking tab.

Reporting is very similar to AdSense, with stats for all the same information between the two competing programs. You can also download reports as well.

There are also terms and policies, which includes a lot of what you'd expect to see ;) And yes, they include that you cannot run YPN with another contextual ad program on the same page. So there goes my idea of running AdSense & YPN side by side for relevancy checking ;) And stats cannot be disclosed either, which is inline with the AdSense terms.

They also market other aspects of the Yahoo network, including Y!Q, adding your feed to My Yahoo! and getting links for Yahoo! Maps.

Now there is the nitty gritty of YPN, now for my personal thoughts on the program so far.

Comparing AdSense to YPN ad units, I prefer the AdSense ad units. The large rectange only contains 3 ads with a larger font, while AdSense has four ads. Math says that the odds are better with four choices than three.

Some targeting is a little off, but I am hoping it will get better over time. I guess it will really depend on whether people are clicking the ads or not to really decide whether the off-targeting is an issue or not. If they have a good CTR and the ads are paying well, then there is no real issue then.

No, I haven't dropped AdSense, because I know people are wondering that. I am doing limited YPN testing (limited in comparison to all the sites I run contextual advertising on at the moment). So you could say I am beta testing the YPN beta ;)

This beta is by invitation only, and I am not sure if there will be more beta testers added right away or not. But it can't hurt to fill out http://publisher.yahoo.com if you haven't already, and you may be lucky enough to be contacted as a beta tester. They plan to launch out of beta by the end of the year.

I am sure I have forgotten some details in my insider's look into YPN, so please leave comments.

Updated: You can apply for becoming a YPN beta tester here.

If you're interested in being considered for the Yahoo! Publisher Network beta program, please enter your information below. Participants of the program must be a resident of the U.S., with valid U.S. Social Security number or Tax ID.
Good luck!

Posted by Jenstar at August 2, 2005 09:01 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Inside the Yahoo! Publisher Network Beta:

» Inside the Yahoo! Publisher Network Beta - Yahoo! Contextual Ad Network Launched from Web Marketing Strategy Update
Yahoo has finally launched its competitor to Go… ... [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 02:27 AM

» Yahoo Publisher Network frente a AdSense from Error500

Finalmente cristaliza el proyecto desvelado hace unos meses (véase Yahoo prepara su AdSense) y se confirma la Yahoo! Publisher Network. De momento este servicio para proveer de publicidad contextual a pe

[Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 02:36 AM

» Yahoo! Publisher Network Beta Launched from Online Marketing Blog
Yahoo has formally announced on the Yahoo Search blog that they are rolling out a beta of their Yahoo Publisher's Network (YPN). This is some pretty important news as it puts forth a significant effort by Yahoo to compete with Google's AdSense pr... [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 02:44 AM

» Ads by Yahoo! from pointblog.com
C'est désormais (presque) officiel : Yahoo a lancé son service d'annonces publicitaires, concurrent direct du service AdSense de Google. Encore en version beta, le service s'appelle YPN ("Yahoo Publisher Network") et cible en particulier ... [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 02:55 AM

» Yahoo! Publisher Network Beta from SISTRIX Suchmaschinen News
Yahoo hat heute eine Betaversion des Yahoo! Publisher Network (YPN) gestartet. Bis Ende des Jahres sollen 2000 Betatester die Werbeanzeigen auf Seiten einbauen, danach soll diese Werbeform auch anderen Webmastern zur Verfügung stehen. Wie bei AdSense von [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 03:25 AM

» Yahoo! Publisher Network Self-Serve Beta from Quick Online Tips
Jensense has a detailed account of yahoo version which rivals google adsense. Jensense says it offers the same ten ad unit sizes that AdSense offers, although some of them offer a different number of ads (such as YPN's large rectangle showing only th... [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 04:02 AM

» Inside the Yahoo! Publisher Network Beta - JenSense.com from FXSpace Search Press
Jensense has a good post: Inside the Yahoo! Publisher Network Beta. She is part of the small new invite only non-employee beta test program. She has one or two gripes with the system interface (that’s what a beta test period is for, no?) but o... [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 04:25 AM

» Competition for AdSense: Yahoo Publisher Network Now Available for Small Publishers from Search Engine Watch Blog
The rumors are true, Yahoo has just announced that they're extending the Yahoo Publisher Network for use by small- and medium-sized publishers.... [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 05:19 AM

» Competition for AdSense: Yahoo Publisher Network Now Available to Small Publishers from Search Engine Watch Blog

Tracked on August 3, 2005 05:30 AM

» YPN Launch Forum Buzz from Search Engine Roundtable
As promised in the Exclusive Interview with the General Manager of YPN, here is the forum buzz about the launch of the YPN product. It is still early, just launching officially last night, but I'll try to update this entry... [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 08:02 AM

» More on Yahoo's Push Down the Long Ad Tail from John Battelle's Searchblog
Yahoo is getting a lot of coverage for its move into Google's domain, here's a roundup and a few thoughts. The New York Times has a piece quoting yours truly: Yahoo says its new small-site service will let a Web site specify what categories of adverti... [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 09:06 AM

» Yahoo Publishers Network wystartowało from AdSense Obserwator
Na razie w wersji beta. Gdzie¶ mi się wyczytało, że na razie ograniczono liczbę wydawców do zaledwie 2 tysięcy i na dodatek tylko mieszkańców USA, posiadaj±cych ważny numer ubezpieczeniowy i podatkowy. Jednakże podobno pod koniec bież±cego roku YPN m... [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 09:22 AM

» Yahoo! Blog Ad Network from Lifehacker
Wow. Looks like Yahoo! has been pretty busy lately. The latest news is that they are going to launch an AdSense style advertising network for blogs via the new Yahoo! Publisher Network. Yahoo will play to that consituency and challenge... [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 11:00 AM

» Yahoo! Publisher Network Beta gestartet from Webmaster-Verzeichnis Blog
YPN ist nun offiziell in den USA gestarte >> Jensense. Naeher eingehen werde ich nach meinem Urlaub… ... [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 12:49 PM

» Yahoo! Launches Beta Publisher Network For Small- and Medium-Sized Publishers from Marc Abramowitz
I’ve been waiting for this for a while. Now that Yahoo! has an offering comparable to AdSense, I can eat our own dog food. Actually, I’ve had YPN ads on my blog for a few weeks now; I was part of the alpha testing. The first advertising pr... [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 01:43 PM

» The Battle Rages from You Know You Wanna
Yahoo! finally has their act together and has developed a program to compete with Google’s AdSense. Called Yahoo! Publisher Network, this product is designed to run on small sites, like our blogs. You can read more about it at CNet and NY Time... [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 02:33 PM

» The shot heard round the Web: The Yahoo! Publisher Network vs. Google AdSense war begins from ReveNews: Beth Kirsch
Yahoo launched the much anticipated Yahoo! Publisher Network beta today by invitation only. JenStar has a nice write up on this and shows an example of the Yahoo! ads which are different than AdSense. We all know the burning question: which network wil... [Read More]

Tracked on August 3, 2005 03:34 PM

Tracked on August 3, 2005 03:51 PM

» יאהו משיקים מתחרה לגוגל אדסנס from SEO in Israel
חברת יאהו נכנסת לשוק הפרסומות מונחות התוכ&... [Read More]

Tracked on August 4, 2005 12:10 AM

» 忙忙碌碌的Yahoo! from iThink's Blog
在Yahoo! Publisher从Alpha版本到Beta版本的过程中,Yahoo! Publisher Network团队广泛听取了大量广告发布&... [Read More]

Tracked on August 4, 2005 01:07 AM

» Yahoo! Publisher Network from Mostly Muppet Dot Com
Yesterday afternoon, Yahoo! launched their newest beta advertising service, the Yahoo! Publisher Network. This move represents Yahoo!’s challenge to the virual monopoly that Google AdSense has amongst web publishers, notably blogs like mine. Si... [Read More]

Tracked on August 4, 2005 08:22 AM

» Yahoo Throws Their Hat into the Contextual Advertising Ring from Jangro: Affiliate Marketing, Search Engines, and Web Development
Finally and hopefully we can see some significant competition for Google Adsense. Yahoo has launched the Beta of their Yahoo Publisher Network, YPN, yesterday August 3rd. Google has owned the publisher contextual ad space for more than two years no... [Read More]

Tracked on August 4, 2005 02:13 PM

» Yahoo Blog Ad Network: Ready For Launch from Make Money Online - The Internet Income Blog
Since I was away on a trip most of last week, I've only heard about the upcoming launch of Yahoo's Blog Ads network. In a couple of days, they're showing off the ads network that's meant to rival... [Read More]

Tracked on August 8, 2005 07:39 AM

» Yahoo Publisher Network Beta from Search Engine Smarts
Yahoo recently announced an invite-only beta version of their Yahoo Publisher Network. I received my invitation to participate in the Yahoo Publisher Network Beta (YPN) program last night. This is cool. There's a lot of support info and sign up was eas... [Read More]

Tracked on August 11, 2005 08:05 AM

» Yahoo Publisher Network (YPN) Review and Screenshots from Search Marketing for Small Business - Marketing Loop

JenSense blogged more details on the workings of the Yahoo Publisher Network (YPN). Yahoo has given permission to show off some of the control panel features. Even if you don't have a YPN account you can see many screenhots on the blog. Anyone ...

[Read More]

Tracked on August 14, 2005 08:17 PM

» Yahoo! Publisher Network from Davilac.net
Tal como se adelantaba ayer, hoy ya ha salido Yahoo! Publisher Network. Efectivamente, ya ha salido la nueva apuesta de Yahoo!, por un mercado que ha hecho rico a Google. Era a través del blog de Yahoo! donde se anunciaba el lanzamiento. Y no es raro... [Read More]

Tracked on November 29, 2005 03:26 AM

» Yahoo! Publisher Network from Davilac.net

Tracked on November 29, 2005 03:26 AM

Comments

I think its working out so far! I love the fact that
Yahoo is comming in, it opens new doors to everyone.

Posted by: keya at August 3, 2005 12:00 AM

will be watching on with interest. Sad to not be participating but I'm geographically challenged.

Posted by: Darren Rowse at August 3, 2005 12:25 AM

Can we have some screenshots pretty please? :-)

Posted by: Duncan Riley at August 3, 2005 12:41 AM

Duncan,

I posted some screenshots on my blog.

Thanks Jensense for the update.

Amit.

Posted by: Amit Agarwal at August 3, 2005 01:44 AM

I think he's wanting the control panel screenshots ;) I am just making sure I am allowed to take some screenshots first, once I have permission I will post so people can check out what you see once you login.

Posted by: Jenstar at August 3, 2005 03:02 AM

Looks promising. However is $$$ at par with adsense.

Posted by: Dhiram at August 3, 2005 04:10 AM

Does the control panel show how the revenue is divided? I would love to see what % is given to publishers ... I know adsense will probably never do this.

Posted by: Mauro at August 3, 2005 08:12 AM

One small thing I've just noticed: The "Ads by Yahoo!" label in the ad box is not a link (unlike "Ads by Google").

Posted by: Azam at August 3, 2005 06:21 PM

It will be interesting to see how YPN measures up to adsense. I'm really hoping as a publisher that maybe YPN will let us know what percentage of the advertisers bid price we will receive....let's see if MSN will get in on the game as well.

Posted by: Allen at August 3, 2005 08:36 PM

Disappointing. One would expect Yahoo to top AS on all fronts after studying competitive offers, but no. Instead, they
choose to half-heartedly mimic what AS already provides.

Posted by: jimmy at August 6, 2005 05:19 AM