« First sighting of Yahoo Publisher Network RSS ads | Main | Ooops? Single clause silently added back into the AdSense policies »

September 14, 2005

Selling YPN invites on eBay

Spotted via Jeremy Zawodny's linkblog, a publisher is selling a Yahoo Publisher Network invite on eBay.

It seems that several publishers based in India mistakenly received YPN invites despite it being open for US residents only. While some have submitted fake address information, this invitee is obviously trying to make some cash off the error. And surprisingly, he's got a bidder at GBP 79.00 (about $150 USD).

I know I have been asked numerous times for an inside track on getting a beta account. It seems those invites really are coveted! Although this is definitely not a way I would recommend getting your beta account.

Update: It looks like the seller originally tried to peddle it on Digital Point, before another member suggested eBay. Thanks Shawn for pointing it out.

Posted by Jenstar at September 14, 2005 07:03 AM

Comments

eBay isn't the only place. I've seen people peddling them on my forum (probably other forums as well):

Posted by: Shawn Hogan at September 14, 2005 11:33 AM

It's pretty much like when Gmail first came out - limited beta, people testing it and showing screenshots, invitations being auctioned.

Posted by: Paul Wells at September 14, 2005 02:49 PM

Is it legal?

Posted by: Personal Finance Weblog at September 14, 2005 09:13 PM

I don't think it's illegal, but whether YPN would be happy about it, is another question.

Posted by: Search Engine Blog at September 14, 2005 10:29 PM

The other question would be, why would you want to risk getting yourself into trouble with YPN over selling your invite. To me, it just seems like this person is just making a target ouf of themselves. I loved having the chance to test drive YPN, I just need to actually use it.

Posted by: Neil Camp at September 16, 2005 02:49 AM

I'm sure YPN will take some action against selling YPN invitations very soon. I've noticed couple of non-us people selling their invitations in some forums. But don't waste your time worrying about them. :)

Posted by: Bo Bang at September 16, 2005 11:02 AM

The ebay item has been removed.

Posted by: NullVariable at September 18, 2005 04:00 PM