« Everyone is talking about Chitika's eMiniMalls ad program | Main | MSN AdCenter beta pilot - referral link for "friends & family" »

October 05, 2005

It seemed there were more publishers than usual with payment problems - people reporting their payment was made to their company name instead of their personal name (or vice versa), payments being addressed with a middle name never submitted to AdSense, as well as postal address problems.

Turns out, there was a problem with information crossover between AdWords and AdSense, resulting in payment information actually being taken from the AdWords account instead AdSense account when they shared an email address.

Affected publishers received the following email today:

Hello,

Due to an issue with our payment system, your most recent AdSense payment was mailed to an incorrect address. Our system pulled the payee name and address information from your Google AdWords account, rather than your AdSense account, when printing and mailing your check.

If you are unable to receive your payment at the address listed in your AdWords account, or if the payee name is incorrect,please respond to this email so that we may cancel this check. Your earnings will be credited back into your account and included in your next payment cycle. Once this process is
complete, you will see a 'Payment Canceled' line appear on your Payment History page.

If you are able to receive your payment at the alternate address, or if you have already contacted us about this issue, no action is required on your part.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
The Google AdSense Team

However, note the Your earnings will be credited back into your account and included in your next payment cycle. Due to no error on the publisher's fault, they now must wait until the NEXT payment cycle (ie. the end of October or early November) before they will receive those August earnings. But with publishers given absolutely no warning to check AdWords account information because AdSense payments would be sent to THAT address instead of the one in the AdSense account (which logically, it should be), those publishers are going to suffer being without that revenue for another month... something many publishers count on for things such as mortgages, payments and bills.

Should publishers have checked their AdWords accounts to check on names and addresses? They had no reason of knowing they would have to, since payments were nothing to do with AdWords. And because of credit card information, payee names and addresses in AdSense could be completely different from what was in the AdWords account, even with a shared email address.

If the error was truly on the publishers end (such as not updating their address in the AdSense control panel) my reaction would be tough luck, wait til next payment cycle. But when it is Google who has made the error, then refuses to correct it immediately by issuing new checks now rather than next payment cycle, it is going to cause plenty of hard feelings by publishers... something Google doesn't neccessarily want to do with YPN taking more market share daily.

I truly hope Google changes their stand on this issue and sends new checks to publishers - based on their AdSense account information, not AdWords account information - immediately. If not, this could just be a nail in the coffin for many people depending on contextual ad income to jump the AdSense ship and hop aboard the S.S. YPN.

Added: Yes, I have received my check. But I have been getting an earful from people who have wondered why there were payment issues, and I suspect I will be getting an even bigger earful once publishers realize they will be waiting for those earnings until at least the end of the month.

Posted by Jenstar at October 5, 2005 12:11 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference AdSense error means many publishers must wait until NEXT payment cycle for August earnings:

» Google Goofs on Some AdSense Payments from AdMoolah News and Views
JenSense is reporting that Google has had a bit of a mix-up, and sent some checks out to wrong addresses or payees. Google somehow cross-pollinated information from AdWords account into AdSense accounts. If this happened to me I would be very, very ... [Read More]

Tracked on October 5, 2005 04:23 PM

» AdSense Publishers Must Wait Additional Payment Cycle for Payment from Search Engine Roundtable
JenSense reports that AdSense error means many publishers must wait until NEXT payment cycle for August earnings. This is the emails thousands of AdSense publishers received as a notification of the error on Google's part. Hello, Due to an issue... [Read More]

Tracked on October 6, 2005 05:59 AM

» Adsense Publisher müssen auf ihre Zahlungen warten… from Webmaster & SEO Blog
Adsense scheint Probleme mit der Auszahlung der Publishers zu haben: Hello, Due to an issue with our payment system, your most recent AdSense payment was mailed to an incorrect address. Our system pulled the payee name and address information from... [Read More]

Tracked on October 6, 2005 10:39 AM

» Google Payment Glitch for August Earnings from Contextual Advertising Explained
Google has made unusual payment glitches, causing payment delay for some publishers to the next payment cycle, as reported by Jenstar. People reporting their August earnings was paid to their company name instead of their personal name (or vice verca)... [Read More]

Tracked on October 8, 2005 02:31 AM

Comments

I received my EFT payment for August, FWIW.

Posted by: tedder at October 5, 2005 03:49 PM

Hmmm. I am in Santa Clara and visited the AdSense team yesterday - that's why one of them asked me "Have you received your cheque yet?"...

My wife got it and deposited - but the bank noticed the my name instead of the company's registration. They accepted it since I am a director with the company, but I can see how this is frustrating for other unlucky people.

And yes, why cross AdWords and AdSense? Unless they make it easier for people to pay AdWords with AdSense revenue then it should be completely separate stuff.

Posted by: M Freitas at October 5, 2005 04:43 PM

I have an eery feeling that this has to do with their recent changes that will merge all AdSense and AdWords accounts into the site wide Google account logins.

Every time I login to AdWords I see in bold, "We're upgrading our AdWords login system to Google Accounts."

And then just below this in unbolded text I see, "This means that in the next few months, you'll be asked to update your AdWords login to a Google Account. A Google Account is made up of a single email and password, and gives you a simple and secure way to sign in to many Google services - without having to log in and out each time. Look out for this required upgrade when you log in soon."

I don't know if I really want one login for all of Google's services. Especially if it means that they are going to mix up my account information while they are doing it.

Posted by: Joel Strellner at October 6, 2005 02:11 PM

I hv only adsense account (not adwords account) so am i getting the same trouble for receiving my check ???

Posted by: Niraj at October 7, 2005 01:39 AM

Please help me. My Google adsense account was closed after having it for 2 1/2 years. Here's the message I'm getting when I try to log in:

Account Not Active
An AdSense account does not exist for this login, as it is associated with an unapproved application. For more information about your application, please review the message we sent to the email address you provided with your application.

I never received an email, because my address has changed. Although I tried to get a copy of the email from Google, no one has answered my emails and I sent over 4.

Can you give me some guidance?

Bobette Kirk