« One poorly converting site can "smart price" an entire AdSense account | Main | Interview with Chris Rand of EngineeringTalk, the latest AdSense case study »

October 31, 2005

Halloween themed AdSense ad units... coolest ad units ever

If you were looking closely, you might have spotted some specially themed AdSense ad units for Hallowe'en today.

This is my favorite of the Hallowe'en themed ad units.

halloween3.gif

The other styling features a pumpkin next to the "Ads by Google", not quite as cool as the themed background though:

halloween1.gif halloween2.gif

Am I the only one who can't wait to see what they come up with for Christmas? I would love to see an ad unit with subtle snowflakes or candy canes in the background. But I definitely rank the Hallowe'en background ad unit as the coolest ad unit ever ;)

Posted by Jenstar at October 31, 2005 07:44 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Halloween themed AdSense ad units... coolest ad units ever:

» AdSense Offers Halloween Themes from Search Engine Roundtable
Hot off the JenSense blog, Halloween themed AdSense ad units.... These were all taken from regular AdSense publisher sites, these weren't "premium perk" ad units. I hope they go more widespread next year. Forum discussion at DigitalPoint Forums. I post... [Read More]

Tracked on November 1, 2005 05:14 AM

» Google Displayed Halloween Themed Ad Units Yesterday from Inside Online Advertising
While I didn't see any of the ad units myself, Jenstar over at Jensense got some screen captures of the ad units. One of them is below. They featured backgrounds with faded out ghosts, pumpkins and witches hats behind the... [Read More]

Tracked on November 1, 2005 06:09 AM

» Halloween Adsense from Chicken Camels: Sports, Reviews, Leisure
For Halloween Adsense began testing a new series of ads. These ads came in two forms: Black border with orange text along with a pumpkin in the upper right corner of the border with graphics along the right side. A pumpkin at the right corner of t... [Read More]

Tracked on November 1, 2005 11:29 AM

» Themed Google ads? Have a look from seside.net

I just read it in my Google AdSense account: Google now provides themed AdSense ads.

This is a funny thing - give it a try, read here how and why.

It's really true - Google seems to provide themed ad units.

Google AdSense th [Read More]

Tracked on December 13, 2005 12:56 PM

Comments

I thought its not allowed to modify Google AdSense code.

Posted by: Alexei at October 31, 2005 09:50 PM

I hope Google collected data on whether the modifications improved overall publisher CTR & earnings. If not, despite the coolness factor, they better not modify the ads in the future.

Also, these types of "cute" background images can destroy some of the credibility of, say, finance related text ads, in my opinion.

Posted by: jim at October 31, 2005 10:08 PM

I'm sure some publishers wouldn't be too happy to have their ads themed without their permission.

Posted by: Leon at November 1, 2005 01:36 AM

I dont like the examples, you have to remember that most of the world dont celebrate halloween, and I would hate to see snowflakes for christmas since it is stinking hot in my part of the world at Christmas!
Sara

Posted by: Sara at November 1, 2005 05:17 AM

I for one like it when Google shakes things up once in while. I didn't notice them on my site, but I would not have had a problem if they did appear.

Posted by: Sean at November 1, 2005 09:20 AM

I would love to see what the CTR on these were, especially your favorite one which has many graphics. Where they inserted as replacements to normal ads, or did the publisher have to go into their control panel to choose the style?

If G has some christmas designs, I hope they put them out right after Thanksgiving so we can start to test them and optimize them :)

Posted by: R. Sosa at November 1, 2005 09:42 AM

Maybe google used the banned adsense publishers money to develop their holiday ads.

Posted by: yahoo is better at November 1, 2005 10:28 AM

Perhaps these ads were shown to specific geotargeted areas. If this were the case, then those who are not in this part of the world should not care if their country does not celebrate these holidays or the snowflakes for Christmas. Google has the technology to do so and I'm sure they were well aware of what countries celebrate what.

I actually like the graphics Google placed on the black orange ad. The people who were displaying this had to have chosen the orange and black colors and more than likely did so with Halloween in mind.

I would like to see what they will do with Christmas, especially since it's Christian holiday.

Posted by: Gary at November 1, 2005 11:01 AM

If they were on regular AdSense publisher sites, then how did you go about displaying them? Was it a Built-in color palette?

Posted by: Randy Charles Morin at November 1, 2005 11:19 AM

That's pretty cool. I can't wait to see what ad unit background they use for the world on my birthday. hah

Posted by: Shawn Hogan at November 1, 2005 01:21 PM

How come i didnt notince these ads before i looked at your blog..were they appearing in special websites???

Posted by: harris2004 at November 2, 2005 12:50 AM