« Interviews with myself & the YPN Team on the YPN beta | Main | YPN's Run of Network advertisers among top internet advertisers for Dec. 2005 »

January 23, 2006

Yahoo Answers to integrate YPN for contributors

Yahoo Answer accounts have something new in the control panel, namely a section for contributors to include their YPN login information, which is currently labelled as coming soon. You need to signup for Yahoo Answers, which is currently in beta, to see this section, but here is a screenshot taken from my account:

yahooanswers.gif

Or you can view it here once you have logged in.

There is also the sign up link from the profile page, but it goes to the regular Publisher Network landing page. It does not seem to have any referral on it, so it would appear that those signing up through the Answers link are not given any sort of preferential treatment for getting into the YPN Beta program, at least not at this time.

There is no word yet on how exactly this will work, other than it is tied to those who answer questions. And there are currently no ads running on Yahoo! Answers, so it is unclear if ads will be added, and clicks on ads would be shared with answer contributors. Yahoo! Answers also works on a point system, so earnings could potentially be earned in accordance to the number of points earned in the system.

Gary Price at Search Engine Watch wrote a detailed article on Yahoo! Answers when it launched on December 8, 2005. He specifically mentions to possibility of YPN being integrated at a later date, while he discussed the new program with Ofer Shaked, Director of Engineering for Yahoo Search.

What about ads? During my chat with Shaked, he was rather reserved about the future of advertising on Yahoo Answers pages.

When I tested, no ads were visible, but Shaked did mention that in the future answerers with strong reputations (feedback, etc) could be able to benefit from use of the Yahoo Publishers Network on certain pages. Again, this is just talk and it will be interesting to see if people try to game the system for YPN access.

This will be interesting to watch and see how this program develops. I will see if I can gather any additional information on YPN's integration into Yahoo! Answers.

Forum discussion at WebmasterWorld.

Posted by Jenstar at January 23, 2006 10:12 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Yahoo Answers to integrate YPN for contributors:

» YPN in Yahoo! answers? from Pay Per Click (PPC) Forums
It seems like Yahoo! Answers is going to give out some money for its contributors. According to Jensense, there’s a section in Yahoo! Answers account area where you can type in your YPN account id, though the area is labeled as “Coming soon... [Read More]

Tracked on January 23, 2006 11:40 AM

» Yahoo! Answers to Display Contributors YPN ID from Contextual Advertising Explained
Yahoo! Answers is going to allow contributors to include their YPN login information soon. Jenstar found this on her account control panel, labelled as coming soon. For every page you contribute, probably they will display YPN ads with your ID so they... [Read More]

Tracked on January 23, 2006 06:45 PM

» 奇摩知識也可以賺錢? from Adsense 廣告賺錢研究
Yahoo!奇摩推出的”知識+”,算是非常成功的新突破,據說美國Yahoo的Yahoo! Answers頻道還是從台灣奇摩移植過去的.不過美國人還是有他厲害的地方,不是光會抄而已,最近還計劃推出一項秘密... [Read More]

Tracked on January 23, 2006 09:53 PM

» Yahoo To Pay For Answers from Somewhat Frank
Yahoo Answers which is currently in Beta and I posted about previously has added an interesting new according to this post on JenSense. It looks like if you are part of the Yahoo Publishers Network or YPN you can [Read More]

Tracked on January 23, 2006 10:03 PM

» Yahoo Answers podria servir para ganar dinero from Sponsor Actual
Según comenta Ruben, vía Jensense, quizás Yahoo Answers se plantee de forma que a quien publique una respuesta a alguna de las preguntas planteadas se le remunere de alguna manera. Esto es al menos lo que se puede adivinar a partir de una captur... [Read More]

Tracked on January 24, 2006 04:22 AM

» Selling My YPN Invite??? from Soj
I was so excited to recieve my Yahoo Publisher Network (Yahoos answer to AdSense) invite a few months ago after a 4 or 5 week wait. I then folowed the invite link, went into the signup page filled out most of my details until I hit a snag. There was on... [Read More]

Tracked on April 20, 2006 03:19 AM

Comments

This thing is already there from the beginning of answers. I actually asked a question on yahoo when we could start getting money from answering. ;-)

Posted by: me at January 23, 2006 02:14 PM

I know one thing, people put way too much stock in what you have to say. I've heard you speak at several conferences and I've never heard anyone generalize so much. To each their own. Maybe you should have grabbed them domain nonsense.com instead of jensense.com.

Posted by: Carlos at January 24, 2006 04:50 AM

Along these same lines (YPN), is there any chance you could write a post for non-US marketers on how to get a US bank account?

IIRC, you're a Canuck (like me) yet have US banking set up so you can join the YPN program.

A "how to" post would be extremely appreciated! :)

Posted by: Steve at January 24, 2006 09:37 AM

I'm not sure how this would work when most of the questions asked are along the lines of "lucky symbol?" or "valentine gift" or "MY BF CHETED ON ME, OMG!?"

Would Yahoo be willing to pay people to answer those sorts of questions? Would the askers be willing to pay?

Posted by: TAD at January 25, 2006 08:29 AM

A beta is usually a fully featured version which is being tested to get the bug out - it seems like Yahoo! are adding features to it every week.

Posted by: Paul Wells at January 25, 2006 09:45 AM