« Yahoo Search Marketing Bot goes wild with 83,000 visits to single page in 24 hours | Main | AdSense finally supports channels for tracking referrals »

June 27, 2006

New AdSense "Vertical Images" within ad units

AdSense has launched a new beta test called Vertical Images, where an image would take the place of an ad within an AdSense ad unit. These images - which are generic, and not company-specific - act similar to an ad link unit, linking to a page related to the ads and image that appeared in the ad unit.

Here is an example of the new vertical images ad unit:
verticalimages.gif

Publishers are allowed to click the images themselves (just be careful not to accidentily click the ad below it!) but you cannot click on any of the ads that appear on the results page, just as how publishers can click on ad links keywords but not on any of the results.

And good news for international publishers, this beta test is international, unlike many of the beta tests which are US-only. The vertical images appear in skyscrapers (both the regular and wide skyscraper, and all of the ones I have seen so far have taken the top spot in the ad unit. There are also reports that these vertical images are displaying in ad units that are specified as text only, so you do not need to enable images in order to see them.

This is an interesting experiment, since many publishers found success by putting images very similar in size to these next to or above ads, finding it draws the eye to the ads. However, there are rules publishers must follow in order to use this technique. But with AdSense now trying a very similar technique, they can easily track CTR rates and see how the clicks on the images compare to clicks on the first text ad, as well as those who may click the image, then hit back and click on that first text ad.

This will be one to watch, especially if it becomes widely released (it is only on a limited number of page views currently) or if it morphs into its own ad unit or option where a publisher could chose to display vertical images if they wish.

Posted by Jenstar at June 27, 2006 10:19 AM

Comments

Yeah, Thats a Cool new feature. But why does the Image have a link ?

Posted by: Thilak at June 27, 2006 04:06 PM

I noticed this on my wine page w/ wide skyscrapers. I saw a picture of the top of a wine bottle, w/ cork, etc. The AdSense links were below the pic. Cool!

Posted by: PJ at Knowing Art at June 27, 2006 05:05 PM

Hi Jen,
you are definately in the know.
I was about to ask you if you had seen this.

See the link above for another example.

Posted by: beauty of health at June 27, 2006 06:08 PM

I wish they start this in other ads units as well. Squares and rectangles are the most popular still!

Posted by: Quick Online Tips at June 28, 2006 02:48 AM

This is really good. It's like removing the "Ads by Gooooogle" label. I would surely try this one.

Posted by: Google_Rocks at June 28, 2006 02:51 AM

I got one on one of my sites today. Oddly enough the picture in mine was a huge arrow pointing down towards the text ad below. At first I thought it was some sort of scam inducing me to click the advert (but then I remembered it was one of my own sites :P) Clicking on the arrow took me to a link unit page of matrix-related ads.

Posted by: Tim Houghton at June 28, 2006 01:56 PM

Well that sure looks cool. I guess the idea is to draw eyes back to the ads.

Posted by: bullet at June 29, 2006 05:57 AM

Well I think Adsense without the pics blends very well with the content and is less intrusive for the reader.

Posted by: Sadanand at June 30, 2006 03:19 PM

That would be cool if they are going to attach a photo beside or above each ad!!

Posted by: Josh at July 2, 2006 02:31 PM